Sunday, February 1, 2009

Creating a Web Portfolio

Today, I Googled myself and a few sites came up. I first typed in Kimberly and the first two websites were from the College of Education here at MSU, announcing scholarships that I had received. The next website was alumniclass.com and it gave my class and high school I graduated from. When I Googled Kim my Facebook account popped up. You can see a picture of my, a few of my "friends", and that I am a "fan" of Kappa Delta Pi. The final website is the results of the 2007 swimming championships for Oakland county.

I do not think that someone could learn that much about me from searching my name on the internet. I think they would assume that I am in the education program at Michigan State. They would know that at one point I was a swimmer at Stoney Creek High School in Rochester Hills, Michigan and I graduated from there in 2005. They would also know what I look like because there are pictures on the College of Ed website and, of course, Facebook.

I created a web portfolio so employers can learn about me through a site that I created. It will showcase work that I am proud of and will give some background information on me. One of my professional development goals for this semester is to really incorporate technology into my lesson plans. I plan on putting these lesson plans on my website and perhaps include a reflection on these lessons in my blog. I think that it is becoming much more important to use technology in the classroom, and I think employers would appreciate seeing how I plan on doing that in my portfolio. M portfolio is really simple to browse through, so employers can quickly find the information that they are looking for. Even though I plan on having an actual portfolio, I think that a web portfolio is a lot easier/quicker to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.