Sunday, March 1, 2009

Making Voice Threads

I created a Voice Thread that showed a few examples of how Fibonacci numbers appear in nature. This is a Voice Thread that I would use as a teacher to introduce my students to this idea. I was actually surprised at how easy this was! I just simply found some pictures of flowers and pinecones that demonstrate how the Fibonacci numbers appear in nature. Then I added a recording that explained the pictures and what is important about them. For a couple of the pictures, I added a typed note as well for things that were easier to read than to hear.

I think that Voice Threads would be good to use in a launch portion of a lesson plan. I think it is a way to get students excited about material and to show how material is relevant. As a math teacher, I think I would use Voice Threads to show how the content being learned is relevant to real world situations. I think when students know that the material they are learning is useful, they are more motivated to learn it. I also think that that Voice Threads would be useful in geometry to show and compare different three-dimensional and two-dimensional figures. The recording could be used to explain different properties of these figures, as well as how to calculate their area, volume, perimeter, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.